The mission of the John Besh & Bride Mayor Chefs Move! Scholarship Program is to diversify kitchen leadership by providing minority applicants the opportunity to train and become leaders in restaurant kitchens and in their communities.
Chefs Move! provides two fully paid scholarships per year (in Culinary Arts and Pastry Arts) to minority residents of the Greater New Orleans area to attend a nine month program at the International Culinary Center (ICC) in New York City.
Upon completion of the program, the Chefs Move! Scholarship recipients will return to New Orleans to complete a paid internship at a BRG restaurant. After the successful completion of the paid internship, the recipient will apply for a full-time job with a New Orleans restaurant outside of the BRG.
The Scholarship Includes:
- Full tuition
- Supplies (knives, uniforms, books, etc.)
- Laptop computer and computer lessons
- Move-in assistance
- One grocery card ($200)
- One MetroCard (30-day unlimited)
- Two-month paid internship with the BRG (upon completion of program)
- Job placement assistance
- Mentorship from a BRG chef
Requirements for Applicants:
- African-American, Vietnamese, Hispanic or another cultural minority
- Resident of the Greater New Orleans Area
- Able to commute to the CBD for both training and the paid internship
- High school diploma or GED(R)/HiSET(R) and be ready to submit all corresponding transcripts
- One year of experience (minimum) in a restaurant kitchen or have graduated from a National Restaurant Association's ProStart(R) program
- Two professional letters of reference (additional letters are both encouraged and welcome)
- Familiarize yourself with the ICC prior to the official interview
- Complete and submit the application (with supporting documents) by March 31, 2017
Conditions of the Award:
Raise $500 in pledges to demonstrate dedication to your culinary education (more details in the application form).
Apply and commit to a full-time job in the New Orleans area for (at least) two years and with a restaurant outside of the BRG.